Executive Board Elections
We’re looking for individuals who are passionate about:
- Ensuring that all children have equitable access to developmentally appropriate, high-quality early learning and
- Promoting an early childhood profession that exemplifies excellence and is recognized as vital to society.
FLAEYC seeks to build its Board with individuals who see the connections between practice, policy and research, who share FLAEYC’s core values and beliefs, and who have knowledge and experience in governance and leadership. As such, we have prepared an elections overview to help members elect the candidates of their choice. This includes the candidate listing (see below) and profiles. The actual ballot will be made available to the FLAEYC membership on October 11. The voting window is October 12 – November 11, 2020. Members can cast their ballot online through our membership portal (you must be logged in) or by downloading the PDF and mailing to our office.
Candidates for Board Service
Board Secretary (select one)
The Secretary ensures the safety and accuracy of all board records, meeting calendar and board related communications. Assumes responsibility of board chair in absence of president or past president/president-elect as well as ensures timely notice of meetings of the board and/or a committee.
• Norma Schwartz
SECA Representative (select one)
The SECA representative is a specifically elected and held office. The SECA representative will attend all SECA board meetings as the Florida representative. The SECA representative will act as the liaison between the FLAEYC board and the SECA board, and will serve both entities.
• Dana Rolle
• Jayne Hafer
• Victoria Damjanovic
At-Large Board Member (select five)
These members represent the diverse composition of the FLAEYC membership. These positions serve to ensure that FLAEYC is a high performance, inclusive organization that reflects the concerns, issues and will of the membership.
• Brooke Tucker
• Claudia Orrett
• Erin Smeltzer
• Linda Chambers
• Mimi Jefferson
• Natalie Williams
• Natasha Smith
• Priscilla Ramos
• Sonia Meier
• Stephanie DeScalzo
• Tanya Hall
• Vicki Mackey
Message from Leadership:
FLAEYC celebrates diversity and we are dedicated to creating an inclusive experience for all early childhood educators. As your current President and President-elect, we are committed to building a Board that carries this organization well into the future and the only way to successfully do that is by ensuring our governing Board represents diversity in age, gender, race and ethnicity, as well as diversity in faith, professional roles, perspectives, experience and skills. The more inclusive we are, the better our work to influence public policy and advocate on behalf of all our essential service providers will be. -Heather Siskand, President, & Angela Tufts, President-Elect
- July 13, 2020: Applications and deadline information posted for submission by FLAEYC members interested in being considered for Board service.
- August 17, 2020: Deadline for submission of applications
- Mid-August 2020: Based upon its review of submitted materials, the Nominating Committee invites potential candidates to participate in virtual interviews. The interviews guide the selection of the slate that is recommended to the Governing Board for approval.
- Mid-September 2020: Governing Board approves slate of nominees to be shared with Membership for at least 30 days before the ballot opens.
- October 12, 2020: The ballot officially opens. Videos from nominees will be available during the Annual Conference.
- November 11, 2020: Ballot closes. Online submissions but be received by midnight on November 10, 2020. Printed ballots must be postmarked by November 10.
- November 2020: The election results will be tallied and the newly elected Board members announced.
- December 2020: Newly elected Board members attend Board orientation.
- January 1, 2021: Newly elected Board members assume office.